Name: Xiao Long Bao— Soup Dumplings（小笼包）
Time: 55 mins
Introduction: It is one kind of famous Chinese dessert. When you bite it, you not only can eat the filling, but you also can taste the soup inside.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 pound pork rind
- 4 slices of ginger
- 3 green onions
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- Water as needed
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a pot, add cold water and pork rinds to cook for around 5 minutes after boiling until the pork skin becomes slightly transparent. Transfer the pork rind out and rinse in running water. Remove impurities and fat layer. Cut the pork rind into small strips.
- In a high pressure cooker or pot, add enough water to cover the pork rinds. Add 4 slices of ginger and several green onion sections. Cook for at least 40 minutes for high pressure cooker and at least one and half hour for ordinary cooker. Leave the soup to cool down. Use food processor to blend for seconds. And then filter the soup once. Pour into an airtight container and refrigerate overnight.
For the Filling
- In a small bowl, soak minced ginger and green onion with 1/2 hot water for around 10 minutes.
- In a larger mixing bowl, mix the ginger and green onion water prepared in step 1 by three batch. Use your hand to stir in one direction until the water is completely absorbed by the minced pork.
- Then add all the seasonings. Mix well and set aside for around 10 minutes for a better absorption.
- Mince the pork jelly and mix with the ground pork filling.
- Add flour and water in a mixing bowl and then knead the dough until smooth and stretchy (this process may need 15 to 20 minutes depending on your kneading skill. You can also use a mixer to do this job.) Cover with a wet cloth and reset for 20 minutes. Dust your board and re-knead the dough for around 5 minutes and then further roll into a long log. Cut the log into small sections of similar weight. Press the sections and roll out to a round wrapper. During the process, do remember to cover everything under a wet cloth to avoid drying out.
- Prepare your bamboo steamer; cover the steamer with cloth, zongzi leaves or brushing some oil on the surface so that the dumplings will not be sticky to the steamer.
- Assemble the soup dumplings one by one. But remember to seal the hole at the very last step. Place the dumpling on the steamer. Remember to leave some spaces between each other.
- Set up the steamer and steam for around 8 to 10 minutes after the water
- Serve directly or with Chinese black vinegar.
PS: when you finish, don not forget to watch the video. It will teach you eat the Xiao Long Bao in a correct way.(≧∀≦)